They use a thick clear thermal plastic, so they can see the fit inside, and carve or reshape with a blowtorch as needed. Next the adjusted connecting piece will be used to cast a mold for the first real piece.
Once we got around the spots that were digging into my thigh, added a pad inside, it was time to stand up to the folding walker we'd brought along. Now I've been standing up with one leg for months, so I knew I could do it. But would the stump handle this?
Smooth up and standing. There were, of course, two immediate issues. First, I have gotten very used to looking down and checking my left foot placement these last two years. Similarly, the prosthetic foot has no nerves, but I could see the foot clearly bending out. Easy to fix with a wrench. Second, I realized I had to stretch up and lock my right knee to try to equalize the leg lengths.
Tom and their builder, Kevin, brought out pads to slip under my right foot. Interestingly I have had troubled lifting my foot with the walker. Not as hard with a second leg -- marvellous invention, they should issue those standard. First ¼", then 3/8". Perfect. Or at least much better.
I probably had at least three stands.
It felt like I could take a step, but there was no stretchy sleeve to hold the leg on. So no.
Next appointment, Friday 25 March 2015. 1:30pm.
Pictures from today are on Facebook. I'll eventually get them up on the blog.
The leg is different from my imagination -- which I expected. Surprised that the ankle is completely fixed, no sprung motion in any direction. Not sure how I feel about that. Even the AFO on my left foot had some fore/aft bend to it.
So a typical below the knee leg comes in at 5-7 lbs. This one will be more like 8-10 pounds, given the heavier weight loading.
Definitely a surreal experience. Next time for real. Then more serious walkage...